Saturday, February 22, 2014

Whatever May Happen Life is Awesome

I'VE BEEN GOING through my belongings, trying to see what I can get rid of to streamline for purposes of relocation within the next 6 months, and I decided to look at my old journals. I still keep a journal, which includes little drawings as well as the stories that make up my life and how I feel. In the sidebar is the word 'Hope' with a heart under it; the size of the heart indicates how much hope I've felt that day; and sometime it is quite minute, and sometimes there's a question-mark within the heart. The rest of the sidebar indicates physical health & how much sleep I've had.

Looking through the old journals (which I've kept since 2009) I'm struck by the different periods I went through, which included in the first journal or two being stupefied by what was happening in life. Then, reading how I dealt with my accident & other terrible losses; all the way to when I'd relocated 2 1/2 years ago to my present whereabouts. What strikes me is that I was really living life back then, to the fullest I was capable. What is somewhat disheartening is that the past year and a half or more has been spent surviving, and not very well. I'm shocked at how strong I had been: how even the most terrible of circumstances allowed me to use my own inner strength and recognise, little by little, that I possessed far more than I had ever credited.

The journals were (and are) always titled 'LIFE' followed by a volume number, then the number 1, as this is (to my knowledge) the only life I've had and likely the only one I'll have. The picture here is the pride of the collection, in more ways than one. I recall drawing this freehand with a pen and then highlighting it with coloured pencil after, tearing the edges, then gluing it on the front. Terrible things ensued at the end of this journal's chronicle—yet I chose the caption only after these events: Whatever May Happen Life is Awesome! I wish & hope that I can recapture these sentiments & feel more like I'm alive again. That's worth a good-sized heart in the sidebar at the very least.

How about you? Do you keep journals? I recommend it highly—it will surprise you or even give you hope when life goes very differently than you supposed.